Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Zombie Cookbook, by J.O. Osbourne

Trying to make meals more fun for picky pint sized eaters?  Planning a big Halloween party?  Want to have a kickoff celebration for the next season of The Walking Dead?  Or merely dying to nourish your inner zombie?  Well look no further, since this is the book for you.  Great recipes made to have all the zombies in your life clamoring for seconds, instead of just for brains.

Somehow, along the way, I journeyed from vampire fangirldom to full blown zombie mania.  I blame the sparkly vampires for pushing me to the dark and mouldering side of undead fandom.  Whatever the cause, I am a big time zombie fan.  And as a zombie fan, I have a unique appreciation for anything zombie related that does not take itself too seriously.  Which is why this book sounded so, well, appetizing, to me.  Having read many quirky themed cookbooks, I knew that this book was either going to be totally cheesy, or totally awesome.  My vote goes to awesome.

The thing I liked best about this book is that these are really delicious sounding recipes.  This is not a book that is going to tell you to peel grapes to make them feel like eyeballs, and cook some spaghetti to simulate brains.  Oh no, this book is far more sophisticated than that.  Sure, most of the recipes are intended to look gross, and have gross titles, but when you read the actual recipes themselves, most sound really tasty.  I personally cannot wait to try the chicken dish titled Bloody Eyeballs.  

The book covers a variety of courses.  You have appetizers, soups, entrees, even desserts.  And most of the recipes are really simple, using fairly standard and ordinary ingredients.  That means that this could be a great opportunity to get your kids to help with cooking.  I mean, what kid would not be excited to help make a batch of Bloody Baked Rats or Brain Cupcakes?

The book make me laugh, and it made me hungry, so I think all in all, it is an effective book.  Well done, bring on the brains.

I received a review copy courtesy of the author.



If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile. My Amazon Profile

1 comment:

  1. This sounds good. I'd imagine that it would be a great starter book for my son -- he'd love the mix between possible science experiment, irritating his sis, & a snack. Thanks for a great review!!

    ReplyDelete