Friday, May 4, 2012

How to Create: An Epic Life, by Emily Levenson

For most people, the biggest roadblock to living a truly epic live is yourself.  You are programmed to fear mistakes and failures, to the point where that fear completely hinders you and causes you to never attempt to achieve your heart's desire.  But if ever, for one tiny moment, you felt like you were meant for something bigger, richer, more fulfilling, you will never be the person you want to be unless you try to live an epic life. 

Many times, the information in self help books can be, at its base, common sense.  But see, we people, we are stubborn, and often good at not practicing what we preach.  So while I may have all the common sense in the world to tell someone else how to reach their goals, it takes a pretty amazing person to make me see the light about me achieving my own goals.  I am not at all surprised that Emily Levenson was the perfect amazing person to succeed.  No surprise really, because many of us in the Pittsburgh area and social media community have know for some time that Emily was pretty epic herself.  

For a while now I have been working on making some changes in my life, and doing it better than I had in past attempts.  Perhaps I just wanted it more this time, I thought.  Now that I have read this book, I realize I was already starting to take the steps to make this next year of my life truly epic.

The book, in less than fifty pages, teaches 12 simple concepts to help you on the road to epicness.   The author explains each concept from a theoretical perspective, then shows practical application for each concept, often with a bit of homework attached.  The homework serves a real purpose, pushing the reader to do things that may be a bit uncomfortable.  It helps test how badly you want to achieve your goals.

While the book is short, each concept is really rich, and can have some real emotional impact.  For the purposes of review, I read the book in one sitting, and allowed myself to reflect for a day before reviewing.  For actual practical use, it is probably wise to read and apply one concept at a time, either weekly or monthly.  One a month would take a year, but over that year, tremendous growth can happen.  I can see this book as being a fantastic therapy tool in conjunction with cognitive behavioral therapy.  I plan on re-reading the book at a slower pace, either weekly or bi-weekly, to really digest each of the 12 concepts.

I think this book will really speak to those seeking motivation and change in their life.  Emily's voice is frank and caring, in a way that will impact many readers.

I received a review copy of the book courtesy of the author.

This ebook can be purchased on Emily Levenson's Website.
If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile. My Amazon Profile

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the EPIC review! I am so glad that it was a.) helpful and b.) that you are kicking butt on your own personal journey.

    Let me know if you ever want some additional support. <3

    ReplyDelete