Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Nothing Left to Want, by Kathleen McKenna

Carey is a poor little rich girl, quite literally.  She was born into a life of wealth, privilege, and notoriety, but completely devoid of warmth, love, and encouragement.  It is is not just that Carey is from an important family, it is that Carey is from an important family with high expectations about who Carey should become.  So, when Carey launches on a path of complete self destruction, the family tries to give her a dose of tough love that may end up completely ruining her.

This book is marketed as a modern fairy tale, but it is so deeply entrenched in real life events that I found it to be more like a modern day dirge.  But do not let that fool you, I absolutely loved it.  As soon as I began reading the book, I knew aspects of the story sounded a little familiar, so immediately became fascinated with the characters in the book, as well as the real life women who inspired them.  The author does an amazing job with the character development.  She really creates vivid characters that, while inspired by true life, are unique, and have their own stories to tell.  I loved that.  I really found myself empathizing with Carey's character, despite her life of privileged. 

The story really broke my heart.  We know from the very beginning that Carey is in a bad way and that this story is not going to be pretty.  But honestly, this book broke my heart.  There is just so much pain in this story, I do not know how someone could not feel for Carey.  I thought this was a brilliant example of art imitating life, and I found that I simply could not put the book down.  Which is not a new phenomenon with this author.  Once again, her brilliance and versatility as an author shine through.

I received a review copy courtesy of the author and publisher.
 

If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile. My Amazon Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment