Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Wendy and the Lost Boys, by Barbara Silkstone


Wendy Darlin, real estate agent, independent woman, modern day pirate?  Not really the life Wendy envisioned for herself when she promised to look after the criminal miscreant Charlie Hook.  When Hook basically holds Wendy, her friend, and an investigator hostage, they have no choice but to help him recover his ill gotten treasure.

Remember the old Rocky and Bullwinkle show, how there was a segment called fractured fairy tales?  That was my favorite part of the show.  So, to me, it is absolutely no surprise how much I adore Barbara Silkstone's "fractured fairy tale for adults" re-imagining of Peter Pan.  I found this book to be, in short, a hoot.  The writing is clever, and had me doing that really unattractive giggle-snort combination many times throughout my reading.  I love the way the characters embody the essence of the original classic characters, with snarky modern twists.  

Be aware, this is not the Peter Pan story you want your kids reading, it is clearly intended for adult readers.  Yet it appeals to the childlike part of us that loved the classic original stories.  Combine that childlike love with modern politics and technology, and you get this smart, snarky, hilarious mystery.  The story is richly developed and leaves you guessing until the very end.  I am liking this grown up version of Peter Pan even more than the original.

I received a review copy of the book courtesy of the author.




If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile. My Amazon Profile

3 comments:

  1. Tiffany,
    Thank you so much for a great review. I love when readers get The Rocky and Bullwinkle humor. I'm working on the sequel to Wendy and the Lost Boys right now.Hope to release in early December.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Rocky & Bullwinkle well. And the Fractured Fairy Tales. Am reading Wendy now. It's AMAZING!! Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific review! This book looks like it was a lot of fun! I'm heading to Amazon now!
    Don't forget to do the same for me if you like a review I write ;)

    ReplyDelete