Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Holy Ghost Girl, by Donna M Johnson


Donna was raised on the tent revival circuit.  For many years, her mama was the right hand to Brother Terrell.  It soon became clear that mama was also a bit more... Donna grew up watching miracles and sin, holy men and hypocrits, and trying her hardest to make sense of it all.  This, to her, was normality.

I am a huge fan of memoirs, and this has to be one of my favorites that I have read in some time.  Donna does an excellent job of weaving her story in such a way that you are totally transp
orted; you are in that tent with her.  I have never read a memoir that is so vivid and creative in its storytelling.  This would was written better than many fiction books I have read.

I have been around some people who were parts of the Holiness, Charismatic, and Pentecostal movements, so to me this book was a comfortable read.  For those not familiar with this type of spirituality, or not comfortable with organized religion, the book may feel foreign, or far fetched, but I believe the book can appeal to readers across many genres.  I have seen many of the things Donna talks about, which is why the book came so alive for me.  Having never been to an actual revival, however, I was fascinated by the nomadic subculture the revival team developed for themselves.

All in all, this book was fantastically written.  It really captured the reader.  For me, it made me want to learn a whole lot more about David Terrell, and it also made me wonder what happened in the lives of his other followers.

I received a review copy courtesy of Crazy Book Tours and the publisher.

      


If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile. My Amazon Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment