Monday, November 14, 2011

Chop Chop, by L. N. Cronk


For as long as he can remember, David has been friends with Laci.  Even when she does things that annoy him, like chop off her long hair to send to a charity that makes wigs for cancer patients.  David things this is the stupidest thing, until Greg moves to town.  Greg becomes friends with both Laci and David, and a strong bond, as well as strong faith, develops between the three of them.  When the tragedy strikes, with that bond, and that faith, be enough to see David through?

I loved this book.  I will say it again.  I loved this book.  I was moved to tears more than once during the reading of this book.  It is not often that I find a Christian book that has so much depth.  This book deals with love, faith, death, forgiveness, and the pains of going from childhood to adulthood.  We watch David, Laci, and Greg take a tremendous journey, and I felt as though I was taking it with them.

The characters in this book are really well developed, I think in part because we hear the story being told by David.  To hear a character's thoughts allows the reader to connect with the character, and I felt very connected to David.  I loved seeing that these kids were not perfect.  As Christians, we often put a lot of pressure on our youth to be perfect, so I find it encouraging that these characters sometimes struggled with their faith, or with doing the right thing; young readers need to see characters in these types of situations.

The book is highly emotional, particularly toward the end.  It was actually quite difficult for me to watch these characters go through the devastating event they went through, but it is a situation that is relevant and could have been taken from the headlines over the past few years.  I think this book is an excellent read, to adult or young adult readers, and can actually be quite a source of comfort.  As this is the first in a series, I can honestly say, I cannot wait for the second.

I received a review copy courtesy of the author.



If you liked this review, please rate it (and others!) as helpful on my Amazon profile. My Amazon Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment