Friday, July 1, 2011

How Did You Get This Number, by Sloan Crosley

How Did You Get This NumberSloan is back with more essays telling about her life and adventures.  What happens when this city girl goes to Alaska?  Why can she never return to France?  Why did math class result in a doctor's appointment?  The answers to these questions and more can be found in this collection of essays.

Sloan, oh Sloan.  I have such a complex relationship with your work.  I love love pink puffy heart love your first book.  It was witty and honest.  This book, well, this book just tries to hard to be as cool as her older sister.  And fails miserably.

I found the majority of this book really boring.  It is so "New York" that its attempts at sophistication come across as merely pretentiousness.  Some of the stories induced a chuckle or two but nothing near the belly laughs that her first book elicited.  It merely sounds like the whining of a relatively well adjusted girl from a stable family living in New York and trying to be edgy.

I really thought this book fell short of the benchmark and am not entirely sure if I will read more of her work.  Which is absurd to me, given how much I adored her first book.  Her first book inspired me to write.  This book inspired me to write better that her.



This book is from my personal library.

No comments:

Post a Comment