Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Washington: A Legacy of Leadership, by Paul Vickery

Washington: A Legacy of Leadership (The Generals)Sure you know that George Washington helped lead troops to victory in both the French and Indian War and the Revolutionary War.  Yes, you know that he was also our first president, and many would argue the father of our country.  But do you know what led to all these victories?  Do you know about loves lost, and bitter defeats, lessons hard learned, and the incredible personal risks he took in battle?  If not, you shall.

I have to admit, I am not one much for historical biographies, but having just read some works of fiction set in the Revolutionary War, I decided this book would be interesting to me.  And was it ever.  First, I have to say that I was fascinated by the early portions of the book, which focused on the French and Indian War.  Having lived in both Ohio and Pennsylvania, many of the battles mentioned took place in settings which are familiar to me.  And while I learned about some of it way back in 7th grade, this book served not only as a good refresher, but as a wonderful addendum to the things I had learned.  Similarly, with the rest of the historical information in the book, I was able to recall the facts I knew, and supplement with ones I did not know.

The only thing I had hoped for was a bit more personal information about Washington, a look at the human side of the story.  I suppose it is difficult to write that, as I am sure history recorded very little of this information.  Sure, facts are given, but I really longed for some little anecdotes.  I suppose when going back to this point in history, those are few and far between.

This book is a perfect book for someone interested in history, whether their passion be military, political, or just general history.  It would even serve well for young adult readers looking to supplement their studies, or additions to home schooling curriculum.  All in all, a nice read that helped me expand my knowledge.


I received a review copy of the book courtesy of the publisher.
I review for BookSneeze®

No comments:

Post a Comment