Sunday, June 5, 2011

Monster Story, by McCarty Griffin

Monster StoryChristy has returned to West Virginia for her grandmother's funeral.  She had no idea she would end up staying there, but stay there she did.  And now she is living in her grandmother's old cabin in the middle of the woods.  Which would be cozy, if it were not for the killer that was stalking and killing people all around the county.  As more people are harmed, Christy has an idea who, or more appropriately what, is behind the carnage.  But could it be possible?  Do monsters like this really exist?

Wow.  I thought I had read some good monster stories, but this was unlike anything I had read, and I mean that as a very sincere compliment.  Monster story frightened me, sickened me, and mesmerized me.  The way this story was told seemed unique to me, and this monster is certain to scare you.

I really liked the setting of this book.  As someone who grew up in the Appalachian foothills, I know how creepy  backwoods areas can be, and it made for the perfect setting for this story.  I also really enjoyed the characters, and seeing their relationships develop over the course of the book.  I was most enthralled by the development of the "monster", not only in how he came to be, but in how he lost all semblance of humanity.

As a long time horror lover, both in film and book form, I have to say, I would love to see this book come alive on film.  If done right, it could make for a great feature film, and even a low budget movie could do well with this story; I am a firm believer that there is real value to B movies.  Overall, I was impressed by Griffin's writing, and it gave me the same feelings I get when I read Stephen King.  That is not something that I can say about many horror writers.



I received a review copy of this book courtesy of the author.






If you found this review useful, please vote it, and my other reviews, as helpful on my Amazon profile here.

No comments:

Post a Comment