Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Broken Wings, by Carla Stewart

Broken Wings: A NovelMitzi tenderly cares for her husband, Gabe, as he suffers from Alzheimer's.  When not visiting him at his care center, she spends time volunteering at the local hospital.  It is here that she meets Brooke, a young woman with a seemingly perfect life.  But Mitzi quickly discover's Brooke's secret, and is determined to help her regain control of her life.  Both women learn, through each other, how to mend their own broken wings.

I thought this novel was simply breathtaking, and heartbreaking, and empowering all at the same time.  Be forewarned, the issues at work in the book are sometimes difficult to deal with.  As someone whose family has been touched by Alzheimer's, as well as domestic abuse, this book struck a nerve for sure, but in a tender and loving way.

I adore the love story of Mitzi and Gabe, and I liked the way the story was revealed, bit by bit, weaving past with present.  I also like the juxtaposition of Brooke's story, watching it unfold and seeing her grow.  I thought the characters of Brooke and Mitzi both were incredibly well developed, and I feel like I really got to know them.  I found Brooke's boyfriend highly unlikeable, and even when I learned his story, I felt no sympathy for him.

This book is labled as Christian fiction, but it would appeal to mainstream readers as well.  The focus is not so much on religion, but on faith, and inner strength.  Overall, a great book.


I received a review copy courtesy of the publishers.













If you found this review useful, please vote it, and my other reviews, as helpful on my Amazon profile here.

No comments:

Post a Comment