Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Liturgical Year, by Joan Chittister

The Liturgical Year: The Spiraling Adventure of the Spiritual Life - The Ancient Practices SeriesThe secular year runs January 1 to December 31.  The federal fiscal year runs October 1 to September 30.  But the liturgical year begins with Advent and runs through the following November.  What is the meaning of the liturgical cycle, the feasts and solemnities?  Why does the liturgical year start with Advent, but mostly focus on Lent?  Learn more about the yearly journey of faith that is the liturgical calendar.

I really enjoyed this book.  It is clearly marketed toward Catholics, since it covers some liturgical aspects that are unique to the Catholic Church, but there is a lot of information that is pertinent to Protestants as well.

This is not the kind of book that I sat down and read in one stretch.  In fact I read it bit by bit over many weeks, which was perfect timing actually.  It helped me enter into the Lenten season with a much clearer understanding of what this time means, personally and liturgically.

I kind of expected a more rigid breakdown of the calendar, but instead the chapters were quite fluid, and drawing from each other, much like a year of life.  I think this is possibly the best lay resource on the liturgical year that I have ever seen.  As this book is part of a series, I would love to read more of the books in the series.

I received a review copy of this book courtesy of the Booksneeze program by Thomas Nelson Publishers.
I review for BookSneeze®

No comments:

Post a Comment