Friday, February 18, 2011

Pulse, by Kailin Gow

PulseKalina is having a hard enough time dealing with the death of her ex boyfriend.  Then, suddenly, his two sexy half brothers show up and inform Kalina that they are all vampires, and Kalina's blood is a precious substance as taught by prophecy.  Kind of a lot to take in for a teenager.  And now, both brothers are pursuing her.  What's a girl to do?

I am often hesitant to get too into any of the many young adult vampire sagas floating around the literary sphere these days, but I do occasionally make exceptions.  In the case of Pulse, I think I made a good choice.  Gow's vampires are edgier, more dangerous, and a lot less sparkly that the Twilight crew.  Some will hate that fact, but I loved it.  I like vampire stories to have a little, well, bite, and Pulse certainly does.

Yet Gow wisely remembers who her target audience is, and makes the book the perfect, and rare, blend of age appropriate and still believable.  It touches upon teen sexuality, which, let's face it, IS something teens deal with, but does so in a tasteful way, the way a teenage mind would.

I love the age old story of the love triangle, and Gow skillfully has Kalina teetering between the boys, while we all wonder who she is going to pick.  And even as she makes a choice, a twist comes in at the ending to make you wonder, what now?  I can't wait to find out the answer to that question.

All in all, this book is appropriate for young adult readers, and I think it will appeal well to all fans of vampire and paranormal books, particularly those containing the element of romance.  Well done.

A touring review copy of this book was provided by Traveling ARC Tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment