Thursday, December 16, 2010

Hostile Takeover, by J D Bowen

Hostile Takeover: A Jon Archer NovelLydia just got out of prison, and she has vowed to get revenge against the man who helped lock her up- Jon Archer.  Jon is the owner and head of a security firm, and life is going pretty well, until one of his corporate clients suffers a crushing blow.  The odd thing is, the attack on the client is somehow linked to Archer.  Will he determine the link in time?  And what does all of this have to do with Lydia anyway?

I read this book in less than a day, because it was just too hard to put down.  The storyline in this book sounded like something straight from the headlines, it was that plausible and realistic.  Maybe that is because I watch way too much Snapped on the Oxygen Network, but nevertheless, the book was riveting, because the plot was fantastic.

The characters in the book are incredibly well developed, and at times I even felt a little sad for Lydia.  But only a little.  Archer is clearly a hero, but I also like that we see a softer side to him as well, both in his adoration for his dog Jimmy, and his relationship with his love interest, Jane.

There is a subplot in the book that really captivated me, involving some stolen gold.  It was completely unrelated to the main plot in terms of the crime and criminals, but it helped establish Archer as a no nonsense always gets the bad guy kind of character, and I loved it.  It made me want to learn more about Archer, which is good, because there are other Archer stories to be read.  And you can bet I will be reading them.

I think all fans of crime drama and thriller books will love Jon Archer.  As a character, he appeals to both men and women, which will serve the series well.  I highly suggest you check it out.

A review copy of the book was provided courtesy of the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment