Monday, December 13, 2010

Flashes Through Time edited by Diane Nelson

Flashes Through TimeThis is a book of short stories by authors including John Booth, MJ Caraway, Paul Dayton, Maria K, Bill Kipton, and Diane Nelson.  Some chapters are very short, one page stories or poems, while other chapters a stories several pages long.  Subject matter is varried, but you will see several stories involving magic or supernatural elements.

Overall, I found this to be a pretty enjoyable book.  I liked that there were poems interspersed between stories, as it helped break up the flow a little.  There were a couple of instances where there was more than one story involving a character or storyline.  Paul Dayton's stories about being part of a Portuguese family made me laugh, and I think anyone familiar with how highly ethnic families operate will enjoy those stories tremendously.

I also enjoyed John Booth's stories, which often involved magic and wizardry.  Not quite Harry Potter, but the stories were enjoyable, and I could easily see this premise becoming a full length novel.  Potter fans, and fans of other supernatural literature will enjoy the stories.

Overall, I found this to be a nice little book, really entertaining, and great for snuggling under the covers with on a cold snow day.  Trust me on that one.

A review copy of this book was provided by the editor.

No comments:

Post a Comment