Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Last Full Measure, by Ann Rinaldi

The Last Full MeasureTacy and her family live in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, during the war between the states.  Two of her brothers are off fighting, and her father is a doctor working at the military hospitals.  Her older brother David can not fight due to a bad leg, so he is left in charge of the house.  We see the Battle of Gettysburg through Tacy's eyes, and see how everyday lives were affected by this bloody battle.

I found this to be yet another example of good historical literature for children.  I think kids will be more interested in history if we make it relevant and relatable.  This book did just that.  The reader is quickly invested in Tacy as a character, as well as many of the other characters in the book.  And while this is fiction, many characters were based on historical fact.

I like that the story shows another aspect of war, beyond just the fighting.  And while it may seem harsh, all the losses Tacy suffers, that was the reality of the war.  I really enjoyed Rinaldi's style of storytelling, and would be interested in reading some of her other young adult books.  This book definitely kept me engaged.

A review copy of this book was provided by NetGalley.

3 comments:

  1. I really hope you read more by Ann Rinaldi. She was what got me interested in historical fiction when I was younger, and I've found that I love her writing almost without exception (I usually just pretend I didn't actually read that one...;) )

    I started with Time Enough for Drums, which remains my favorite, but am seriously in love with many others. :)

    Ashley@ Books from Bleh to Basically Amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently discovered Ann Rinaldi's books and read whatever I get my hands on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. About to review this book, just finished it. I quite enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete