Monday, August 30, 2010

Dead is Just a Rumor, by Marlene Perez

Dead Is Just a Rumor Daisy is a senior at Nightshade High, and the town of Nightshade is celebrating it's 200th anniversary, so it would seem that there are plenty of things to be happy about.  But when all the supernatural residents start relieving blackmail letters, Daisy decides to use her psychic abilities to investigate.  Along the way, she stumbles upon some long missing lovers, and has to convince her over protective father she can take care of herself.

Apparently, this is the fourth book in the "Dead" series, but you could have fooled me, because it served as an excellent self contained young adult novel.  Not for one minute did I feel like I was lots or missing anything because I had not read the previous books in the series.  The story was just that well developed.

The characters were great, they seemed like actually high school kids, they had the same challenges that high school kids did, with the added pressure of living in a supernatural world, with supernatural forces and powers.  I loved the character of Daisy, and the fact that she was not perfect; she is still learning how to handle herself and her abilities.

I think this is a great young adult novel, and I can only imagine that the rest of the series is as fantastic as this book is.  I highly recommend this book, and can see many fans of paranormal lit, both adult and young adult, really enjoying this book.

A review copy of this book was provided courtesy of NetGalley.

1 comment: