Thursday, August 19, 2010

Book Tour-Thumbing Through Thoreau, by Kenny Luck


Thumbing Through Thoreau: A Book of Quotations by Henry David ThoreauHenry David Thoreau was well known as a poet, author, philosopher, transcendentalist, and naturalist.  His writings have inspired great leaders throughout history, and he his love of Walden Pond has spread to many.  Kenny Luck has long been a student of Thoreau, and has compiled a book of Thoreau quotes on society, government, spirituality, nature, and love.  The quotes are accompanied with illustrations by Jay Luke and Ren Adams.

Having only taken one American literature class in college, my experience with the naturalist school of poetry and prose was limited, but I clearly recall it not connecting with me.  Therefore, I was a little nervous about reviewing a book of quotes by Thoreau.  While I still feel no great connection with the naturalist school of writing, I do have a bit more appreciation for the sentiments they express.

The book is divided into three sections, the first being Society & Government, second being Spirituality & Nature, and third being Love.  I have to admit, I was somewhat surprised at how relevant some of the quotes on society and government were for today.  And while I could never be a true naturalist, choosing to live a life separate from others and living at one with nature, I do have an appreciation for nature's beauty that allowed me to enjoy this section.  But by far, my favorite section of the book was the section of quotes on love.  His idealist views on love may seem somewhat unusual when using modern social expectations of love and romance as a measuring stick, but I personally was enchanted by his quotes on what love means and is.

The book itself is quite calming, with absolutely gorgeous illustrations.  You can view samples here and here.
Here is the book trailer: 


Readers can also visit the Thumbing Through Thoreau website.

Also, readers can find the publisher, Tribute Books, at the following places:
Tribute Books website:
http://www.tribute-books.com

Tribute Books Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Archbald-PA/Tribute-Books/171628704176

Tribute Books Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/TributeBooks

This book would make a great addition to the bookshelf of any poetry lover, as well as those fond of classic American writers and poets.  I recommend you check it out, and would not be surprised it this book sits on many coffee tables across the country within a new months.

2 comments:

  1. I love it that you have these reviews for us! Keep up the good reading. Most of my reading comes from a referral, so I appreciate these reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany - I can't tell you how much I enjoyed your review. Thank you so much for sharing 'Thumbing Through Thoreau' with your blog readers.

    This quote of yours is spot-on:
    "His idealist views on love may seem somewhat unusual when using modern social expectations of love and romance as a measuring stick, but I personally was enchanted by his quotes on what love means and is."

    Keep up the great work and I'll be sure to check back at your blog for your future reviews.

    Best wishes,
    Nicole
    Tribute Books

    ReplyDelete