Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Eye of Erasmus, by Teresa Geering

The Eye of ErasmusErasmus is a powerful man.  Born during a storm, as he grows up he realizes he has extraordinary powers.  He determines he can travel through time, and goes into the future to meet the love of his life, Shasta.  Erasmus and Shasta were born on the same date, at the same time, many years apart.  They fall deeply in love, and marry.  But all the while, Hesper, the begger boy Shasta takes into her home, shows disdain for Erasmus.  Who is Hesper, really, and who is he to challenge Erasmus the Omnipotent?

Reading this book was an unusual experience for me.  The book is written unlike most modern fiction, where the goal is to create a personal bond between reader and character.  Instead, The Eye of Erasmus reads like an ancient myth, slightly removed from the reader because it is sacred, scriptural almost.  I loved that aspect of the book, it gave me a feeling of enlightenment and awe.

The book uses language that allows the reader to determine the place and time setting, which I think is fantastic.  This allows every reader to paint their own version of Erasmus and Shasta, which in turn does allow the reader to have a personal investment in the story.  This story has a quiet, solemn power about it, and I felt myself pushing through drowsiness to read on late into the evening.  There was no way I was going to sleep without knowing what was to happen. 

The book is written in such a way that I think it will appeal to a large variety of readers.  There are some fantasy and supernatural elements to the story, so those fans will enjoy.  There is romance, so those readers will love it as well.  As because of the mythos involved in the story, I believe it will greatly appeal to classical literature fans, historical fans, mythology fans, and readers who enjoy classic storytelling elements in writing.

To me, this feels like the kind of story that can be passed on for many generations.  The fact that there are 2 future installments planned for Erasmus' story leaves me breathless with anticipation.


A review copy of this book was provided courtesy of the author and publisher.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds interesting, and worth checking. Thanks for the very nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to buy it, right now!
    This sounds to me like a best seller in the making.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review for Tee's book! Well deserved :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome review and i'm still trying to get my head around your lovely words.
    Many thanks.
    Teresa (Eye of Erasmus)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tiffany, once again I am delighted to read an in depth review of yours, on a book that is certainly destined for big things, written by a delightful woman.

    It's refreshing to find someone that reviews not only fairly, but with feeling.

    ReplyDelete